(If you suffer from or witness any of these below mentioned signs seek professional medical help as soon as possible to avoid injury or death)
Heat Casualty (Signs)
• Muscle Cramps
• Weakness and/or Fatigue
• Unsteady Walk
How to treat or react:
• Remove patient/victim from environment
• Locate or Improvise Shade For Patient/Victim.
• Loosen Restrictive Clothing
• Give/Take Sips Of Water
• While Rendering Aid; seek medical help as fast as possible.
SERIOUS SIGNS & SYMPTOMS:
• Hot Body, High Temperature
• Confusion, agitation
(Mental Status Assessment)
• Involuntary Bowel Movement
• Weak or rapid pulse
• Unresponsiveness, coma
Seeking Emergency Medical Professionals As Soon As Possible.
• Lay person down in shade with feet elevated until medical personnel arrive
• Undress as much as possible
• aggressively apply ice packs or ice sheets. (Cool body temperature down with cold water & fan person to cool)
• Give sips of water while awaiting an ambulance (if conscience)
• Monitor airway and breathing until medical help arrives
Mental Status Assessment:
Call an ambulance if any if the following exist.
- What is your name? (Does Not Know)
- What month is it? (Does Not Know, the month or year)
- Where are you/we? (Is Not Aware Of Location Or Surroundings)
- What were you doing before you became ill? (Does Not Know The Events That Led Up To Current Situation)
Indications Of Possible Water Intoxication
Signs & Symptoms: Confusion, weakness, and vomiting.
What to do:
Ask these questions to the person/patient:
• Has the person been eating? (Check pack for possible food items to feed person)
• Has person been drinking a lot? (Suspect water intoxication if person has been drinking a lot)
• How often has person urinated? (Frequent urination with Water Intoxication, infrequent with Heat Injury)
• What color is the urine? (Clear urine may indicate over hydration)
[ If a person has been eating, drinking and urinating a lot, yet has these symptoms, immediately call for an ambulance or seek medical help.]